$7.00 – $108.00
Common Name: Wild White Indigo
- Habit: Perennial Herb
- Light: Full Sun (5+ hrs. direct sun)
- Water Needs: Average, Dry
- Height: 2-5′
- Flower: White, May
- Fruit: Inflated pods that turn from green to brown to black and get 1-2″ long as they ripen.
- Fall Color: No
- Natural Habitat: Grasslands/Prairies
- Larval host for: Hoary Edge Butterfly (Achalarus lyciades), Wild Indigo Duskywing Butterfly (Erynnis baptisiae), Frosted Elfin Butterfly
(Callophrys irus), Dog Face (Colias cesonia)
Nitrogen fixing, colony-forming, plant with semi-woody erect, sparsely branched stems and blue-green leaves. Stems are topped with a spike of creamy white pea flowers in spring. Blooms are followed by inflated seed pods that turn black when ripe. A deep tap root makes this plant tolerant of dry soils and extended periods of drought.