$16.00 – $35.00
Common Name: Red Maple
- Habit: Tree
- Light: Part Shade (2-5 hrs. direct sun), Full Sun (5+ hrs. direct sun)
- Water Needs: Average, Moist, Wet
- Height: 30’+
- Flower: Red, Yellow, Feb-Mar
- Fruit: Two winged Samara, May-Jun.
- Fall Color: Yes
- Natural Habitat: Riparian, Mesic Forests, Floodplain/Marsh, Bottomland Deciduous Forest,
Acer rubrum or the Red Maple is a medium sized deciduous tree. The green leaves are opposite and palmately lobed, turning a vibrant orange-red color in the fall. Early spring brings red, showy flowers. Red winged seeds (samaras) become present in the Summer. It is a host species for a variety of moth larvae: Baltimore Bomolocha, Orange-humped Mapleworm, Maple Looper, and more. Red Maples are also beneficial to other wildlife such as birds, deer, and squirrels for browse and shelter.