Common Name: Scarlet Beebalm
- Habit: Perennial Herb
- Light: Full Sun (5+ hrs. direct sun)
- Water Needs: Moist, Average
- Height: 2-5′
- Flower: Red, May, Jun, Jul
- Fruit: Seeds borne in tubular base of flowers after the petals have fallen off.
- Fall Color: No
- Natural Habitat: Woodland Edge, Grasslands/Prairies
Monarda didyma produces a cluster of spreading, erect semi-woody stems lined with dark green leaves topped with flowers. Flowers are deep scarlet colored and have drooping tubular ray flowers lining the outer edge. Attractive to hummingbirds and a number of insects, the blooms are long-lasting and will resprout with dead-heading. Spreads by rhizomes, but not aggressively and can be divided every few years to keep from overstepping its bounds. Foliage emits a pleasant minty smell when disturbed.